No matter WHAT festival you’re headed to this summer, we’ve got a list of some handy tips and tricks to help you have the best experience possible!
- CHECK THE WEATHER!
- Even if the weather app says it won’t rain, you never know. Just to be safe, pack that poncho! ALSO…place a bandanna in the bottom of your cooler to wrap around your neck when you get hot.
- BRING COMFORTABLE SHOES!
- You’re going to be on your feet a lot! So leave the heels at home and bring comfortable shoes you’re not worried about getting dirty!
- GRAB SOME GARBAGE BAGS!
- Whatever the weather, a garbage bag is central to so many festival hacks. You can load your possessions into one to keep them dry, wear one as a makeshift raincoat, and use them to keep your campsite nice and tidy.
- ESTABLISH A MEETING POINT!
- It’s crucial so do this as soon as you can. Find the biggest landmark inside the festival and make that your meeting place so no matter how lost you get, you can always find your family and head home. When going to a new stage, establish a meeting point in the back so that after the show, everyone can meet up and head to the next stage. Or…you know…you could just hold hands the entire weekend.
- LEAVE NOTHING BUT YOUR FOOTPRINTS!
- Clean up after yourself. This goes for when you’re at your campsite AND inside the festival. Before heading into the fest for the day, grab your family and tidy up real quick. Throw away and recycle any trash, you’ll be glad you did when you return to a clean campsite.
- BE NICE TO THE EVENT STAFF!
- Event staff are here to help you, not ruin your good time, and many of them are volunteers, who aren’t paid…so be kind! Also, don’t be afraid to go to the medical tent if you need help. They don’t care that something happened, they just want to help.
- BUY YOUR MERCH ON THE FIRST DAY!
- You’ll have the most options to choose from in terms of styles and sizes. Also, once you head home, the shirt will remind you of all the fun you had every time you wear it!
- TAKE WET WIPES!
- Wet wipes are one of the most versatile festival items: freshen up your pungent armpits, clean mud from your phone screen, wipe down a toilet seat before use, clean your hands off before eating… carry them with you at all times and you won’t regret it.
- TAKE SANDWICH BAGS!
- You probably won’t have a packed lunch with you at a festival, but re-sealable sandwich bags are an essential item for keeping your possessions safe and dry. At the first sight of rain, just seal your phone, money, and anything else important inside a bag and pocket it.
- PACK A PORTABLE CHARGER!
- Most festivals these days offer on-site charging points, but it’s not worth queuing for hours just to be able to update Instagram. Packing a portable travel charger means you can keep your phone alive without missing out on any fun.
- PACK UP THE CAR, THE NIGHT BEFORE!
- If you plan on heading out Friday morning, save yourself the stress by packing your bags, your cooler, and the car on Thursday night. That way Friday morning you can do a quick last minute check and hit the road.
- DON’T BRING ANYTHING YOU DON’T WANT STOLEN!
- Learn from our mistakes because if you’re not going to be on top of your phone every single second, don’t bring it. It’s better to leave something you love at home and have it be there when you get back then leave the festival without it.
- DRINK WATER!
You won’t realize how thirsty you are until you’re passing out from dehydration. Most festivals offer free water refill stations so plan on stopping by one before heading deep into a crowd. Every night before you go to bed, chug a bottle that you brought with you. When you can’t drink water anymore, coconut water or Pedialyte are hydrating and have yummy flavors.
And finally…this is pretty self-explanatory…APPLY SUNSCREEN! You don’t want to ruin your good time by getting a sun burn! Be safe!
~Jeremy & Amanda